Painting your home will bring out its original charm and increase its resell value. Others might think that painting is as easy as getting a brush and dabbing it with paint, and you’re done with your project. In reality, painting your house is more complex and will require professionals to do it properly.
You have been planning a home painting project for a long time and have done a lot of your research on the best way to paint your house. You also created a shortlist of painting contractors and got their estimates on how much you will spend on your project. So what do you do next? Here is some useful information that can help you with your house painting project?
Why do you need a Painting contractor?
As mentioned, painting involves many processes and is more than just holding a brush and painting. Especially if you are repainting, since removing the old paint is very important. Cleaning the surfaces from dirt and grime is necessary so that the new paint will stick properly to the surface. Contractors have the proper skills and equipment for these types of jobs.
How do I find the right contractor?
There is a high demand for painting contractors, and sometimes it’s hard to set an appointment. So it would save you a lot of time if you ask friends or acquaintances who recently had their house painted and ask who their contractors were. By doing so, you’re sure that the contractor has the right expertise to do your painting project. Your neighbours can also be a good source of information; you can ask around and find leads on painting contractors.
The internet is also a good source of information. Search for contractors in your area and check their reviews. Choose contractors that offer other services. Besides painting, your walls might need minor plasterwork and drywall repair, so you should ask them if they have the skills to do minor wall repairs. It will save you money in the long run since you do not need to hire different contractors.
What is the scope of work of painting Contractors?
When you hire a contractor, you have to make sure they have the necessary skillset and personnel to finish the job. Your contractors are expected to do the following.
- Prepare the wall surface by sanding old paint and scraping loose paint. They have to make sure all surfaces are clean, and there is no evidence of moisture. If they find moisture, they should make minor repairs and find the source of water.
- Make minor repairs on the wall surface. They should be able to fix cracks in the plaster and drywall. If needed, they can be asked to replace some parts of the drywall.
- Protect and cover areas such as floors, cabinets, windows, counters, and other areas to protect them from paint spills.
- Remove and return lights, switches, electrical plates, and other accessories that may hamper painting.
- Apply the proper number of primer and paint coats.
- Clean-up after the contract and make final touch-ups.
What do you discuss with your painting contractor before starting a project?
Before signing a contract, you have to make sure that all the details have been discussed. Make sure it is written down in the contract. It is important to discuss the following :
- The estimated cost of the painting project and all related work.
- The specific areas to be painted.
- The kind of paint used and how many coats of paint necessary.
- The project’s expected time of completion, the milestone, and possible penalties if deadlines are not met.
- The length of the warranty period to make sure they fix problems in their workmanship.